Warning to not smoke whilst receiving oxygen therapy

Saturday, 22nd April 2017

STAFFORDSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service have issued a warning about the dangers of smoking while using oxygen therapy after a fire at a home near Tamworth.

The man in question was lucky yo have escaped serious injuries at his home after the incident.

Crews were called to a home in Whittington at around 1:45am on Thursday, April 20, after the 62-year-old tried to smoke while wearing his oxygen therapy equipment.

The cigarette, in close proximity to the oxygen flow, resulted in ignition and caused the tubes to burn. The tubes ran along the man’s face, behind his ears, down his neck, along his side and were connected to an oxygen tank at the side of his bed and as the fire travelled along the tube it caused his t-shirt to catch fire.

The man was taken to hospital with two per cent burns to his face, neck, chest and arms. Thankfully, his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

John Kitchener, Station Manager, said: “This man was very lucky not to receive more serious burns and this was thanks to his wife’s swift actions to extinguish the flames and call for help.

“The incident could have easily been a lot worse and is a stark reminder not to smoke while using oxygen equipment. It is safest to turn the oxygen equipment off before starting to smoke.”