HELLO and welcome to my weekly View from the House for Tamworth Informed.
Of course, it would be impossible to write again without mention the ‘B’ word and I do apologise for bombarding you once again on news that we have moved forward in the negotiations.
On 29 March 2019, the United Kingdom will leave the European Union – fulfilling the democratic decision taken by the British public. The Government has now made a dealwith the EU and it will be put to Parliament shortly. We now need to get on with Brexit which is what local people, and the nation, voted for.
There are plenty of people who want to stop Brexit in its tracks. Their latest plan is to hold a second referendum. They call it a ‘People’s Vote’, but we had the people’s vote – the people voted to leave. A second referendum would be a ‘politicians’ vote’ – politicians telling people they got it wrong the first time and should try again. Think for a moment what it would do to faith in our democracy.
Those who honour the referendum result must now come together. If we don’t, we risk ending up with no Brexit at all.
The Prime Minister has saidtheBrexit Dealmeans:
- We will control our own borders and end free movement once and for all
- We will protect jobs with a deal that is good for our economy
- We will no longer send vast sums of money to the EU so we can spend more on our priorities, like investing in our long-term plan for the NHS
- We will be able to strike free trade deals around the world
- We will take back control of our laws, ending the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice in the UK
- We will keep people safeagainst crime, terrorism and other threats by working closely with European countries
- And we will protect the integrity of our United Kingdom
The referendum was the biggest exercise in democracy this country has ever seen. We must honour the result and get the right Brexit deal, one that takes back control of our money, laws and borders, promotes jobs and protects security and our Union. Whether you voted leave (as I did) or remain, we cannot allow those who want to thwart the democratic decision of the majority to have their way.
As always, have a great weekend.
Role of an MP
In our exclusive video interview, you can learn more about the role of an MP.