Top tips on electrical safety for shoppers in Tamworth

Wednesday, 11th November 2015

COMMUNITY Safety Officers will be giving shoppers in Tamworth top tips on electrical fire safety on Friday, November 13

The team will set up a stand at Ankerside shopping centre from 10am-2pm when they will give out information and advice.

They will also be taking referrals for free Home Fire Risk Checks and encouraging people to register their appliances with the product recall website so they can be contacted if a fault is found. To register appliances visit in a new window)

Community Safety Officer Chris Jenkins, who will be running the stands, said: “This event coincides with Electrical Fire Safety Week which aims to alert people to potential dangers they can face if they are using a faulty or damaged appliance, whether it is a television, electric blanket or hair straighteners.

“We will also be giving advice specifically around fire safety at Christmas. We will be encouraging people to think carefully about where they put their tree, ensuring it is far away from candles or heaters which could easily set it alight and to ensure that plug sockets are not overloaded or left on overnight. There are approximately 7,000 house fires due to faulty electrics every year across England and we are keen to ensure residents are aware of potential risks so that they don’t become a victim this festive period.”