Sunlight reflecting off mirrors causes fire in Fazeley

January 19, 2016

STAFFORDSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service has issued a safety warning in the wake of two blazes involving mirrors in the past two days.

A study at a house in The Laurels, Fazeley, Tamworth was damaged after curtains caught fire Sunday afternoon.

One of the occupants, a man in his eighties, put out the fire. He was treated by paramedics at the scene for minor burns to his wrist.

In a separate incident, residents of a property in Huntsman’s Hill in Upper Longdon, Rugeley had a lucky escape this morning when sunlight reflecting onto a mirror burned a pile of CDs.

Watch Manager for Prevent Rob Horton said: “It is important for homeowners to ensure that reflective items such as mirrors are not placed in direct view of sunlight. Special care should be taken with convex and concave shaving or make-up mirrors which can magnify the sun’s rays onto combustible items such as curtains or bedding, causing them to ignite.

“These incidents go to show just how important it is to have working smoke alarms. I would urge everyone to ensure they have smoke alarms fitted and to test them regularly. There is no doubt they could save your life in the event of an emergency.”