Motorists urged to take care as Storm Bronagh expected to hit the county overnight

Thursday, 20th September 2018

PEOPLE travelling on the roads across Staffordshire this evening (Thursday 20 September) and overnight are being warned about high winds and rain which could make driving conditions difficult.

The Met Office has issued a yellow warning for strong winds as Storm Bronagh is expected to hit the county between 6pm and 9am.

People are being advised to take extra care if out on the roads, drive to the conditions  and be aware there could be surface flooding, fallen branches or trees on the road.

Advice from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service

Advice from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service

Helen Fisher, cabinet member for highways and transport at Staffordshire County Council  said: “High winds have been forecast across the county this evening and overnight and so we’re reminding people to take extra care if they’re out on the roads.

“Our highways teams will be ready to respond to any issues throughout the night and into the morning but motorists should drive with caution, and be aware of potential fallen branches and debris on the roads.  Drivers should also be aware of surface flooding and our advice as always is not to drive through any flooded parts of the road as you don’t know how deep the water could be.”

The yellow warning is in place until 9am on Friday morning.

Reporting Fallen Trees & Debris in Road

Your local council are responsible for clearing trees and debris in the road.

The local highways authority deal with these issues, the police only need to be involved if there is a significant risk to others OR there has been a collision AND someone is injured – in this case call 999.

You don’t need to report a collision with a fallen tree or other debris in the road AND there are no injuries to the police. The police will not record the details. Click here to find out about how to deal with non-reportable collision

People can report any highways issues like fallen trees or flooding on the roads by calling 0300 111 8000 and selecting option 1, or at

You should contact Highways England if the obstruction is on a motorway or an A road they manage in England on 0300 123 5000

Power cuts

105 is the new number to call if you have a power cut. It’s free of charge and will put you through to your local network operator who can give you help and advice

You can also call 105 if you spot damage to electricity power lines and substations that could put you, or someone else, in danger. If there’s a serious immediate risk, you should call the emergency services too.

105 is a free service, available to people in England, Scotland and Wales.

You can call the number from most landlines and mobile phones.