Safety warning after dishwasher fire in Atherstone

February 25, 2016

WARWICKSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service are issuing a stark warning to residents not to leave dish washers or tumble dryers on at night or when they are out of the property, following an incident in Atherstone yesterday morning.

Crews from Atherstone and Polesworth were called to a house fire at Mill Race View in Atherstone at 12.31am yesterday, Wednesday 24th February. On arrival crews found a dish washer well alight. Four people were in the property at the time of the incident, but all managed to escape unharmed after one of the residents smelt burning. A fire was then confirmed when the smoke alarm activated.

Although the fire was quickly extinguished, there is smoke damage to the kitchen and the dish washer and units are significantly fire damaged.

Talking about the incident, Station Commander, Roland Bayley said:

“This incident should be a stark reminder for residents to ensure that appliances are switched off before going to bed at night or leaving the property, this includes dish washers, tumble dryers and washing machines.

“Our role is to protect the public and whilst we regularly issue fire safety notices, they don’t always seem to get through. It only takes minutes to check that appliances are switched off at night, but it can take much longer to rebuild your life if you lose your home or even worse, someone you love. It’s just not worth that risk!”

Following the incident fire crews spoke to residents in neighbouring properties about fire safety in the home and the importance of having smoke alarms fitted.

For more information on fire safety in the home or for a free home fire safety check log onto www.warwickshire.gov.uk/firesafetycheck