Planning application submitted for 1,100 homes on former golf course site

Friday, 27th February 2015

AN outline planning application for up to 1,100 new homes on the former Tamworth golf course site has been submitted by Tamworth Borough Council.

The outline application shows that 42% of the 60 hectare site will be retained as green open space and it will feature Tamworth’s first community woodland. The plans also include a new primary school, extension to Hodge Lane Local Nature Reserve and a community woodland.

A total of 25 hectares will be developed as new public open space. The two main features are the seven-hectare extension to the Hodge Lane Local Nature Reserve and the creation of a new community woodland featuring oak trees with picnic areas, accessible trails, viewpoints and a community orchard.

The plans also show that existing trees will screen the new development from neighbouring homes; in some parts of the site these tree lines will be up to 50 metres wide, protecting existing residents’ views. A new 2.4 mile cycle and pedestrian network will also be created through the site.

The application for the development of the site is for outline permission only – the layout and detailed design of the development will be confirmed at a later stage when a detailed application will be submitted.

The outline application shows that 20% of the proposed development will be affordable homes. 75% of those affordable homes will be rented, with the remaining 25% being shared ownership properties. A significant proportion of the new homes will also be two and three-bedroomed, helping to meet local housing needs.

Cllr Steve Claymore, Cabinet member for Economy & Education, said: “This is a high-quality application which will help to meet the current and future housing needs of Tamworth, as identified in the proposed Local Plan, with 20% of the housing being affordable homes for rent and shared ownership.”

He added: “Almost half of the site will be retained as woodland, wildlife habitat and open space. After consultation with local residents, we took on board their concerns and have made changes including increasing the width of the woodland buffer zone between the existing homes and the new development.

“The building of up to 1,100 homes on this site will bring many benefits for Tamworth – including more housing choice, new jobs and capital to invest in facilities and services to improve health and wellbeing, create jobs and enhance other parts of the town.

“We have taken into account the fact that this site is important to meet the need for housing, along with access to open space and this is reflected in the high-quality design of the master plan.”

Benefits of the redevelopment include:

  • 2.4 miles of new cycle paths and pedestrian access open to all
  • A financial contribution from the developer to upgrade or support new leisure facilities
  • 25 hectares of green infrastructure, including a seven-hectare extension to the Hodge Lane Nature Reserve
  • Creation of a new community woodland, providing open space which is accessible to all, not just paid member of the golf course as was previously the case. The woodland will also provide opportunities for local people to get involved it its creation and maintenance, through a Friends group.
  • A new primary school with associated fields and facilities
  • High-quality homes including in the region of 200 affordable homes
  • A new commercial centre with potential for a doctor’s surgery, pharmacy, shop, pub/restaurant
  • Creating up to 200 construction jobs and increasing expenditure in the local economy

After the planning application has been formally advertised, members of the public will have 21 days to comment on the plan once it goes live for consultation. Because of the size and scale of the proposed development, the Secretary of State will be notified, and he has the option to ‘call in’ the application and make the final decision.

The plans and associated reports for the pre-planning stage can all be seen on Tamworth Borough Council’s website

The outline planning application can be seen on the planning portal under the application number 0088/2015