EXCITING new events and the return of crowd-pleasing favourites are expected to attract more than 70,000 people to Tamworth during 2015.
Tamworth Borough Council’s Arts & Events team has unveiled a packed programme of outdoor events for 2015, which includes the return of favourites such as the St George’s Day celebrations, outdoor cinema, We Love Tamworth, Fireworks Night and the Christmas Lights Switch-On, alongside new showpiece spectaculars.
A major new highlight of this year’s programme will see one of the UK’s top dance companies, MotionHouse, unveil a brand-new piece of work which has been tailor-made for Tamworth.
Tigress is a mix of dance, drama, music and history, based on the life of Queen Ethelflaeda. Tigress will be performed in and around Tamworth Castle Grounds on Saturday May 9 and Sunday May 10 and will involve a number of community arts groups from Tamworth.
It is being staged as part of the ambitious year-long I Am Tamworth project, which aims to encourage people of all ages who may never have attended arts events or taken part in anything creative to get involved, by trying out creative activities for free.
Two outdoor theatre productions are also new for 2015. Quantum Theatre will be staging a production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream in the Castle Grounds on Saturday July 11, while on Sunday August 16, they will be in Dosthill Park with a performance of Beatrix Potter’s classic, The Tales of Peter Rabbit & Benjamin Bunny.
In 2014, around 67,200 visitors took part in or attended outdoor events in Tamworth – and it is hoped that this year’s events will attract even more.
The highlights of last year’s calendar were:
- St George’s Day, which attracted 10,000;
- Gate Gallop – 3,500 participants and spectators;
- Outdoor cinema screenings – 2,000 for both showings;
- Outdoor theatre production of Robin Hood by Ilyria – 258;
- We Love Tamworth – 9,500;
- Bandstand concerts – 800 visitors throughout the season;
- Stars and Stripes line dancing event – 4,000 participants and spectators;
- Zombie Apocalypse – a sell-out with 140 participants;
- Fireworks – 28,000 visitors;
- Christmas lights switch-on – 9,000 visitors.
Now the Arts & Events team is gearing up for an even bigger 2015, with more visitors expected to flock to this year’s events. The programme for 2014 includes:
- St George’s Day Extravaganza – Saturday April 25 (free event)
- MotionHouse performing Tigress in and around Tamworth Castle Grounds – Saturday May 9 & Sunday May 10 (free event)
- Gate Gallop – Sunday June 28 (free event, Anker Valley, Amington)
- Bandstand Concerts – Weekends from July to September (free event)
- Outdoor theatre performance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, by Quantum Theatre – Saturday July 11.
- Outdoor theatre performance of The Tales of Peter Rabbit & Benjamin Bunny, by Quantum Theatre – Sunday August 16 (Dosthill Park)
- Outdoor cinema screening, films to be announced at a later date – Saturday August 8
- We Love Tamworth Summer Event, including street performers, face painters, Saxon re-enactors, fairground rides, community stalls and much more – Saturday August 22 (free event)
- Fireworks Spectacular – Saturday November 7 (free event)
- Christmas Lights Switch-On – Sunday November 22 (free event)
Tamworth Borough Council Deputy Leader, Cllr Rob Pritchard, said: “Tamworth’s events programme not only generates more than £1 million every year for the local economy but also attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors from Tamworth and further afield. They are a great chance to bring the community together, market Tamworth as a place to visit and bring shoppers to the town centre.
“This year’s programme is set to be even bigger and better and there is something for everyone to enjoy. If local groups want to get involved with our outdoor events or even put on their own events in the Castle Grounds, please get in touch with our Arts & Events team.”
For more on Tamworth’s outdoor events programme, please visit www.tamworthassemblyrooms.co.uk or contact Tamworth Information Centre on 01827 709 618. Anyone who is interested in holding an outdoor event in the Castle Grounds is asked to contact Laura Hastilow on email@example.com or 01827 709314.