STAFFORDSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service have today confirmed that an investigation is underway into the cause of a fire at a medical centre in the Tamworth area on Saturday (3 November).
The building on Cadogan Road in the Dosthill area was severely damaged by the blaze which was reported at around 9.30pm. The fire also spread to two nearby business units.
At the height of the blaze six pumps were needed to tackle the blaze. Crews from Tamworth, Barton-under-Needwood, Burton, Tutbury, Aldridge, Cheadle and Hanley attended along with the aerial ladder platform from Burton.
At least four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the building to ensure gas and electricity supplies were shut off. Firefighters remained on scene until 18:13 on Sunday (November 4).
Group Manager Toby Wilson said: “The fire caused considerable damage to the building and to neighbouring business premises. The cause has not yet been established and an investigation is underway.
“As it’s bonfire night tonight, I’d like to take this opportunity to remind people to take care around fireworks.We recommend that you visit an organised display. If you are having a display at home please make sure you follow the firework code.”
Drone footage showing the aftermath of the fire
Drone footage with thanks to Chris Shaw.
The Medical Centre is home to a Doctors Surgery, a Dentist, a Pharmacy and a Podiatry Clinic. Below is some advice for patients of the Centre regarding any existing or future appointments.
Advice for Patients
With the Dosthill premises closed, doctors and staff will be moved temporarily to the partnership’s other practices at Wilnecote and Glascote so that patients can continue to receive advice and treatment.
A spokesperson for Dosthill GP practice, said: “We are working hard to minimise disruption for patients and thank them for their understanding as we work in difficult circumstances. Our priority is to ensure patients with urgent needs receive high quality advice and support.
“Patients should continue to contact the surgery through our usual phone number. Any patients with appointments booked for Monday and the remainder of this week will be contacted to give further information. We thank patients for their understanding and will work with them as appointments are moved to our other practices at Wilnecote and Glascote. We are also opening additional rooms at Glascote to help manage demand.
“Once the extent of the fire damage is known we will develop a longer term plan and keep patients informed and involved.”
Patients expecting to collect a prescription from the Dosthill pharmacy should contact the Fazeley branch on 01827 262488 or at 11 Coleshill Street, Fazeley, Tamworth, B78 3RB.
Patients with an existing dental appointment or needing to book a dental appointment should continue to call the dental surgery on 01827 282237 for further advice.
The Fireworks Code
- Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114.
- Don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks.
- Keep fireworks in a closed box.
- Follow the instructions on each firework.
- Light them at arms length, using a taper.
- Stand well back.
- Never go near a firework that has been lit. Even if it hasn’t gone off it could still explode.
- Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them.
- Always supervise children around fireworks.
- Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves.
- Never give sparklers to a child under five.
- Keep pets indoors.
- Don’t set off noisy fireworks late at night and never after 11pm.
Bonfire safety tips
- If you are having a bonfire discuss it with your neighbours beforehand.
- Don’t build a bonfire too far in advance of the day as it can encourage anti-social behaviour.
- Build the bonfire away from sheds, fences and trees.
- Check there are no cables (for example telephone wires) above the bonfire.
- Ensure there is a suitable barrier around the bonfire to keep spectators at least five metres away.
- Always check that no children or animals are hiding in the bonfire before lighting.
- Don’t burn aerosols, batteries, tyres, canisters or anything containing foam or paint – many produce toxic fumes and some containers may explode, causing injury.
- Don’t use petrol, paraffin, diesel, white spirit or methylated spirit to light the bonfire.
- Keep some buckets of water nearby in case of an emergency and to damp down after the event.
Sparkler safety tips
- These are often viewed as harmless but they do burn at fierce temperatures and can easily cause injuries.
- Light sparklers one at a time.
- Supervise children with sparklers and never give them to children under five.
- Make sure everyone handling sparklers wears gloves.
- Hold sparklers at arm’s length while being lit.
- Don’t wave sparklers about close to other people.
- Never hold a baby in your arms while you are holding a sparkler.
- When you have finished with the sparkler put it in a bucket of cold water.