Man airlifted after touching electrical cable

Friday, 7th August 2015

A MAN who sustained 13% burns after hitting a power cable whilst gardening has been airlifted to a major trauma centre for further specialist burns treatment.

West Midlands Ambulance Service was called to reports of a man who had suffered burns after touching a power cable in the garden of a property near to Coton Green Primary School in Tamworth just before 10.00am this morning (Friday). An ambulance, a paramedic area support officer, a community paramedic and the Midlands Air Ambulance from Tatenhill attended the scene.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: “When ambulance staff arrived they found a 56-year-old man who had sustained nasty electrical burns to his left arm, shoulder and chest after reportedly hitting a power cable whilst using gardening tools.

“The man was given pain relief and anti-sickness drugs to help stabilise his condition before they applied cooling burns dressings to his wounds. Ambulance staff also carried out checks on his heart to rule out any cardiac concerns following the incident.

“Once ambulance staff were happy he was stable the man was transferred by land ambulance to the awaiting helicopter which had landed on the school field nearby.

“The man was then airlifted to Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham, a specialist trauma and burns unit, for further treatment.”