A DEADLY spider was found in a Tamworth factory this week be a worker. Was he scared stiff? No, he loved the experience!
A deadly Brazilian spider believed to be the most venomous arachnid in the world and can also cause erections in men that last hours and could cause impotence was discovered this week at Bristan by a factory worker.
The eight legged critter was discovered beside pallets that had arrived at the Bristan warehouse from South America.
Lee Hilton, the worker who made the discovery told a BBC Midlands Today reporter: “I like stuff like that, it’s my sort of thing.” He went on to say: “It was quite exciting, I will cross it off my bucket list!”
Personally I think I would have jumped a little!
The Brazilian Wandering spider has been classed as the world’s most venomous arachnid in Guinness World Records since 2010 and in one reported case, a single spider killed two children in São Sebastião, Brazil.
In 2005, a British man spent a week in hospital after he was bitten by a Brazilian Wandering spider that had travelled to the country in a shipment of bananas.
Aside from causing intense pain, the venom of the spider can also cause priapism (entially painful medical condition in which the erect penis does not return to its flaccid state) in humans. Erections resulting from the bite are uncomfortable, can last for many hours and can lead to impotence.
James Ship, an expert at Stratford Butterfly Farm, which also houses arachnids, said if bitten by the spider: “You would have about six hours’ worth of pain. If you weren’t able to get anti-venom within those six hours, it can lead to paralysis and in some cases it can lead to death.”
Staff at Bristol Zoo found it to be female, possibly the largest ever seen in the UK.
It is understood that the spider is currently undergoing tests in London.