House left seriously damaged after candle fire

Saturday, 17th March 2018

STAFFORDSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service is urging residents not to leave lit candles unattended or tackle a fire yourself.

The warning comes after crews from Burton-upon-Trent, Barton-under-Needwood and Tutbury attended a fire on Blenheim Close, Burton, on Thursday March 15 at 9.45pm.

Four firefighters wore breathing apparatus to enter the home and they used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire which started in the living room.

The resident, a woman, was woken by her smoke alarms and went downstairs to find the curtains in the lounge well alight. She attempted to use water to put out the blaze but was unsuccessful. Thankfully, on crews arrival they found she had escaped the building and although she was uninjured, she was taken to Queens Hospital by ambulance for precautionary checks.

A fire investigation found the blaze was caused by tea light candles which were left burning on the window sill when the resident went to bed.

Dez Stoddart, Fire Investigation Officer, said: “This was a severe fire which has caused significant damage to the property. The resident was very lucky she wasn’t seriously injured when trying to tackle the fire as this could so easily have been the case. We always tell residents not to try and deal with a fire themselves, the safest thing to do is to Get Out Stay Out, and call us.

“When investigating this incident it was clear that several tea lights had been left burning on the window sill without a protective base. We urge residents to always ensure candles are out before going to bed or leaving your home. Thankfully this property had working smoke alarms which alerted the lady to the fire at the earliest opportunity, which highlights just how important it is to have working smoke alarms on every level of your home.”

For more information on home safety visit or call the FREE Community Advice Team on 0800 0241 999.

More information on the Service’s Get Out Stay Out campaign can be found here:

The devastation left by the fire in the Burton home.
The devastation left by the fire in the Burton home. (Credit: Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service)