Warning after garden waste fire causes burns

Saturday, 12th May 2018

STAFFORDSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service is reminding residents not to use accelerants when burning garden waste after a man suffered burns.

Crews were called to reports of a garden fire in Rugeley just after 9.15pm on Thursday, May 10.

On arrival they found a 32-year-old man had suffered flash burns after the fire became out of control and they used a hose reel jet to extinguish it.

The man was taken to Royal Stoke Hospital by ambulance for treatment. His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, he suffered 17 percent superficial burns to his face, arms, chest and legs after he used petrol on the fire.

The burns to the legs of a Rugeley man after the bonfire.

The burns to the legs of a Rugeley man after the bonfire.

Station Manager Simon Craythorn said: “Ideally garden waste should be disposed of safely at local refuse centres or composted, but if you absolutely must burn it then there are some vital things to avoid.

“We’d strongly advise people never to use petrol or any accelerant to start a fire or encourage it to grow – this incident shows just how dangerous this is.

“This fire was located far too close to nearby trees and could have easily spread to the foliage, we’ve also had fires that have spread to nearby buildings so always make sure there is enough clear space around the fire, taking into consideration weather conditions.

“Never burn waste after consuming alcohol. This also applies to barbeques. Being under the influence can greatly affect your judgement and responsiveness, putting you at greater risk of injury.”