Fire service reminds residents to register new appliances

Thursday, 27th December 2018

THE holiday season means many members of the community will have received shiny new toys and appliances but Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) is reminding people to register their new goodies.

Shoppers spend millions of pounds over the Christmas period and the Service is asking residents to take to the time to visit This will allow them to receive important safety updates and recall information directly from manufacturers, ultimately protecting the purchaser and their loved ones from electrical faults which could cause a fire.

People may also be looking to take advantage of the post-Christmas sales and SFRS would like them to ensure they visit the website once they have snapped up their bargains.

READ MORE: Fire Death factors are the SAME again!

Director of Prevent and Protect Glynn Luznyj said: “A large proportion of the goods bought are expensive electrical items which have been significantly reduced in price.

“In all the excitement of the festive period, it is easy to forget to register new electrical goods with the National Association of Manufacturers of Domestic Appliances (AMEDA). Faulty electrical equipment is still a major cause of accidental blazes in homes across Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent.

“I cannot stress strongly enough just how important it is to spend a few minutes completing the online form so that manufacturers have your details and can alert you quickly and easily to any issues with a particular product. Taking the time to do this could potentially save you and your family’s lives. If you’re giving the item as a gift always include details of where/how they can register the product and encourage them to do so; perhaps you could write it on a second gift tag and include this within the product packaging.”