Pensioner killed in Two Gates hit-and-run named

Thursday, 27th December 2018

OFFICERS from the Staffordshire & West Midlands Serious Collision Investigation Unit are continuing to appeal for witnesses following a fatal road traffic collision in Tamworth last week.

The collision happened at 10.45pm on Watling Street, near to the crossroads of Watling Street, Two Gates and Dosthill Road on Friday 21 December and involved a 90-year-old man and a vehicle.

The man who sadly lost his life has been named as Isaac Wright from Atherstone in Warwickshire. Isaac is known to his family and friends as ‘Ike’. Isaac suffered serious injuries and sadly died at the scene.

Specialist officers are supporting his family and have requested that their privacy is respected at this difficult time.

READ MORE: £1000 reward offered in relation to Two Gates hit-and-run

A 48-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and perverting the course of justice.  He has since been released under investigation while enquiries continue.

Last week we reported how Two Gates Club where the gentleman was a member has offered the reward to anyone who passes information to the police that leads to the arrest and conviction of the driver of the vehicle.

At Tamworth Informed, our thoughts are with the gentleman’s family and friends, along with anyone who attended the scene.

Released Under Investigation – What Does that Mean?

On 3rd April 2017 the Policing and Crime Act 2017 came in to force, this changed the way officers across England and Wales deal with pre-charge bail, meaning that police will now presume individuals will be released without bail and instead are ‘under investigation’, unless specific criteria are met.

Formerly, if a suspect was arrested, there were generally three main options as to what might occur after a person had been questioned and interviewed on tape by the police. They were:

  1. The Suspect would be charged or cautioned with an offence and, if charged, they would be either released to attend court at a specified date in the future or remanded in custody overnight until the following court day when they would appear before the court at that time;
  2. The Suspect would be released having been told that the “Investigation” had been concluded and that there would be “no further action”, thereby meaning that the case had been concluded; or
  3. The Suspect would be released on Police Bail, under what was known as s.47(3)b Bail—this would mean that with or without conditions, the Suspect would be required to return to the Police Station at an appointed date and time, this date could be changed, extended and could mean that case would drag on for many months and in some cases for years.

The third option was the most common—simply because the nature of most police investigations involves the gathering, processing and considering of evidence obtained after a suspect has been formally questioned. To do this, the police would bail them before a decision was made on whether the case would be sent to court on not.

The change in the law and recent procedure affects the ability of the police to release someone on police bail. There is now a statutory maximum, save for certain cases, of up to 28 days. After that period has elapsed, unless the Bail period has been lawfully extended, it is no longer possible to keep someone on bail.

In practice, what the Police are now doing to get around this change in the law is simply releasing a Suspect but telling them that they still “Under Investigation” but “not on bail”