As children prepare for school after the Christmas break, drivers are being reminded that ‘20 is Plenty’ as part of a road safety campaign to help keep pupils safe.
The ’20 is Plenty’ scheme is run by Staffordshire County Council and encourages drivers to reduce their speed to a maximum of 20mph outside schools.
Each term around 16 Staffordshire schools take part in the scheme, which is in place when pupils arrive at school in the morning and at home time in the afternoon. Speed Indication Devices (SIDs) which display the speed of a vehicle as it passes by are used to encourage drivers to slow down.
Mark Deaville, Staffordshire County Council’s Transport Chief said: “Our ‘20 is Plenty’ scheme is one of many campaigns we run helping to keep our roads amongst the safest in the country.
“We’re in the seventh year of the scheme now and so far over 200 schools across the county have benefited from it. The campaign calls on drivers not to put pupils lives at risk by driving above 20 miles an hour when outside schools. The scheme is also encouraging more parents and children to walk and cycle to school which helps to reduce traffic at school times.”
The ’20 is Plenty’ School SIDs will be at the following schools for the January 2017 term:
- St Stephens Primary, Church Lane, Fradley, Lichfield
- Whittington Primary, Common Lane, Whittington, Lichfield
- Mosely Academy, Main Road, Anslow
- Victoria Community Primary, Victoria Road, Burton
- Wilnecote Junior School/ Wilnecote High School, Tinkers Green Road, Tamworth
- Flax Hill Primary School, Chestnut Avenue, Tamworth
- Gorsemoor Primary, Gorsemoor Road, Heath Hayes, Cannock
- Hazel Slade Primary, Rugeley Road, Hednesford
- Perton Academy (formally Perton Sandown), Sandown Drive, Perton
- Corbett Primary, Six Ashes Road, Bobbington
- Church Eaton Primary, High Street, Church Eaton
- Weston Road Academy, Blackheath Lane, Stafford
- Sir John Offley CE(VC) Primary School, Izaak Walton Way, Madeley, Crewe
- Ilam CE(VA) Primary School, Ilam. Ashbourne, Derbyshire
- Our Lady & St. Werburgh’s Catholic Primary School, Seabridge Lane, Newcastle
- St Werburgh’s Primary, Holt Lane, Kingsley