Blow Torch used for gardening leads to serious fire

Tuesday, 7th August 2018

STAFFORDSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service is urging residents to think twice before burning off weeds or waste in the garden during the hot weather following a fire in Burntwood which left one man injured.

Crews from Cannock and Lichfield were called to Morley Road on Friday, August 3, to reports of a garden fire which had spread to the nearby properties.

The firefighters used two hose reel jets to put out the fire, which sadly left an elderly man with burns to one of his arms. He was treated by paramedics from West Midlands Ambulance Service.

The resident had been using a blow torch to burn away the weeds in his garden when a fire broke out and spread to the fencing panels, his home and a neighbour’s property.

Station Manager Dermot Hogan said: “We are very sad to have seen this man injured in an incident which could have been avoided. 

“With the weather conditions being so hot and dry it can be dangerous to use fire to burn off weeds and garden waste. I know we have had some rain recently but unfortunately the ground and vegetation is still very dry. The same goes for wooden panels like the ones involved here. This makes it very easy for them to ignite and for fire to spread.

“Please avoid burning any waste during the hot weather as it can be very dangerous and cause serious damage like we have seen in this incident. Fortunately the man did not suffer more serious injuries which could easily have been the case.”