APPEAL: Did you witness fatal collision.

Friday, 21st February 2014

Police appeal for witnesses after a man died in a road traffic collision in the Eccleshall area of Staffordshire on Thursday.

The collision happened at around 4.30pm on Thursday 20 February on the B5405 Great Bridgeford to Woodseaves Road and involved two vehicles, a black Vauxhall Agila and a blue Toyota Avensis.

Sadly, a passenger travelling in the Vauxhall, a 19-year-old man from Northamptonshire, was pronounced dead at the scene. The man’s family have been informed and are being supported by specially trained officers. Formal identification has not yet taken place.

The driver of the Vauxhall, a 19-year-old woman from the Newport area of Shropshire was treated at the scene before being taken to the University Hospital for treatment. She remains in hospital in a stable.

The driver of the Toyota, a 57-year-old man from Sheffield, suffered minor injuries and was taken to Stafford Hospital for treatment. He was discharged later the same evening.

The road remained closed until around 8.45pm while specialist officers from the Collision Investigation Unit carried out an investigation at the scene. Staffordshire Police would like to thank motorists for their patience whilst the road was closed.

Witnesses are asked to contact Staffordshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 464 of February 20.

Two ambulances, a BASICS doctor, a community first responder, and the Midlands Air Ambulances from Cosford and Tatenhill attended the scene.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said:
“On arrival, crews discovered two cars that had been involved in a serious collision.”

“Unfortunately, it quickly became apparent that nothing could be done to save the occupant of one of the cars and the man was confirmed dead at the scene.”

“The second occupant of the car, a woman believed to be 19 years old, was treated for pelvic, neck and chest injuries and fully immobilised with the use of a neck collar and spinal board. She was then airlifted to University Hospital North Staffordshire for further emergency treatment.

“The driver of the second car, a man in his 50s, was treated on scene by paramedics for leg injuries before being transported by land ambulance to Stafford Hospital for further assessment.”