Home Headline

Warning about leaving mirrors near windows

fire warning, scorched window

STAFFORDSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service are reminding residents not to leave mirrors near windows after a near miss at a home in Stone.

The warning comes after a woman returned home from holiday to find scorch marks on her window frame. Concerned, she contacted the Service who visited the house in Whitemill Lane on Monday evening (October 30).

Firefighters from Stone found that the burns were caused by sunlight which had shone on the mirror and reflected onto the window frame.

Prevent Manager Carmel Warren said: “It is very fortunate that in this case there were no window dressings or materials in the reflections pathway or it could have ignited them and caused a fire.

“People don’t realise that sunlight can be extremely powerful and if it is reflected off the surface of a mirror it can produce enough heat to ignite flammable materials.

“It is vital that people ensure that reflective items such as mirrors are not placed in direct view of sunlight. Special care should be taken with convex and concave shaving or make-up mirrors which can magnify the sun’s rays onto combustible items such as blinds, curtains or bedding, causing them to ignite.”

For more information on home safety visit the dedicated webpage here or call the Service’s Community Advice Team on 0800 0241 999.

NO COMMENTS

Tell us what you think...