Home 999

Staffordshire police crest with batternberg

A NATIONWIDE investigation led by detectives from Staffordshire Police, which resulted in eight men being jailed for 55 years for jewellery raids, is the subject of a television programme this evening.

‘Jewel Raiders’ from ITV Tonight will be shown (Sept 21) at 7.30pm on ITV1.

An organised crime group (OCG) of Romanian men struck at 11 jewellers’ shops between November 2015 and September 2016 spanning nine force areas from Kent to Lancashire and netting more than £3m worth of stock, including jewellery and watches.

They came to our attention as a force when they smashed their way into Beaverbrooks, Hanley, in the early hours of March 10 last year. They took £400,000 of watches after smashing their way into the Potteries centre store with sledgehammers and setting a fire to distract emergency services.

The documentary features interviews with senior investigating officer DCI Ricky Fields, and DI Phil Bryan, of Staffordshire Police’s Force Safeguarding and Investigations (North).

The group received training and had to comply with a strict code. They had an interesting way of working which included camping a few miles from their target and cycling to the site to avoid detection.

They would block roads using tape or rope and set fires to hamper police response. They were forensically aware and adopted tactics to store their waste and remove traces to avoid detection.

Assistant Chief Constable, Emma Barnett, said: “These sentences are the result of the support from our communities and the hard work and attention to detail of our staff and officers. Our detectives took the lead in a major nationwide investigation and secured convictions

Firefighter operation

FIREFIGHTERS and staff have been involved in a multi-agency exercise to test emergency response and resilience plans for terrorism related incidents within Staffordshire.

For several months exercise co-ordinators from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service have been formulating a sequence of scenarios designed to test the Service and partners across the board. On Thursday September 14, 190 firefighters along with 50 support staff were all called to action, 27 fire appliances were involved in the day.

The exercise included a range of terrorist related ‘incidents’ which unfolded within Staffordshire and communities may have noticed the presence of firefighters, fire appliances, and other emergency services in the Rugeley, Burton-upon-Trent and Alrewas areas. The Service used social media to reassure the public about the increased activity.

Multi Agency operation

Emergency vehicles taking part in the operation

Chief Fire Officer Becci Bryant said: “Firstly, we would like to acknowledge the awful incident that took place in London on Friday morning, our thoughts are very much with those involved and the emergency responders who attended.

“This terrible event really emphasises the importance of exercises such as the one we carried out last week. It is essential that we are prepared and equipped to act quickly and effectively with our partners to keep the community of Staffordshire safe.

“The exercise has been months in the making and has been well and truly kept under wraps so that firefighters, staff and partners could respond as spontaneously as possible. It proved to be a valuable day, with some exceptional team work but also some real development opportunities identified. Of course I hope that we never have to put our well-laid emergency plans into practice for real and I want to stress that there is absolutely nothing to indicate that there is a specific threat to Staffordshire.

“However, with the UK threat level remaining at severe it is important we and our partners are prepared as we possibly can be. Our communities can be reassured that we work closely with our colleagues at the police and ambulance service to ensure that our staff are appropriately trained and prepared to respond in the event of a localised incident.

“The recent events in London are an important reminder to remain alert but not alarmed, and to remember the important run, hide, tell advice. If you’re concerned about anything suspicious please report it via the anti-terrorism hotline on 0800 789 321 or ring 999 and ask for the Police.”

Firefighters taking part in the National Firefighter competition.

STAFFORDSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service crews have taken part in a national firefighter competition.

The event, which was held in Humberside, is run each year by UKRO, an organisation focused on professional release of casualties from vehicles and driving the national campaign on road death reduction. They also aim to showcase other rescue disciplines including water rescue, trauma, line rescue and urban search and rescue.

Between Thursday September 7 and Saturday September 9, seven retained firefighters from Brewood, Billbrook and Codsall, attended the event in Hull to take part in extrication (casualty release) and trauma challenges.

On day one they were amongst 50 of the UK’s top teams competing in a 20 minute challenge, involving two cars and one casualty, using a standard set of rescue tools. Sadly, they didn’t come within the top 20 teams that progressed onto day two for a more complicated two car collision scenario involving two casualties.

Over the two days up to 30 fire service medics competed in all aspects of first aid and advanced trauma care, including two firefighters from Lichfield. They took part in an exercise which simulated accidents and injuries where they were scored on best practice as well as professional care and skills.

Firefighters taking part in the National Firefighter competition.

Firefighters taking part in the National Firefighter’s competition.

Paul Danby, Brewood Watch Manager, said: “The event is held each year and is a chance for us to not only test our skills alongside colleagues from around the country, but also to learn and observe the other challenges to acquire additional knowledge. The advanced skills we bring back with us will ultimately benefit our communities.

“It is a great way to develop our specialist teams and strengthen their team spirit, by providing an opportunity for them to put their skills into practice in a pressurised yet supportive environment. Our crews really excelled and it was great for them to be part of this national challenge.”

police cell

POLICE have confirmed that 27-year-old man who was arrested in connection with stabbing a man in Amington, has been charged with Murder.

The victim has been named locally as 30-year-old Tamworth man, Dan Wyatt as the news has spread across Facebook and tributes have been left.

Tamworth Informed would like to pass their condolences to his family and friends.

Sadly the news came late yesterday (Sunday) that Mr Wyatt, who was stabbed in Amington on Friday 8 September had passed away in Hospital.


READ MORE: Appeal after stabbing in Amington


A spokesperson for Staffordshire Police has said: “The 27-year-old man who has been in police custody since his arrest [on Saturday] has now been charged with murder.

“Our thoughts are with the victim’s family at this time.

“Any witnesses with any information are encouraged to phone 101 quoting incident number 955 of 8 September.”

You can also report crime by contacting the independent crime-fighting charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through their Anonymous Online Form at www.crimestoppers-uk.org. No personal details are taken, information cannot be traced or recorded and you will not go to court.

Staffordshire Police Insignia in Tamworth

POLICE in Tamworth are appealing for information after man was stabbed a number of times in Amington last night.

Emergency services descended on Sorrel in Amington at around 11pm on Friday 8 September due to reports of a serious assault.

Detectives investigating the incident are turning to the public for help from anyone with information or who may have been in the area at the time of the incident.

A spokesperson for Staffordshire Police has said: “An ambulance was called to the area at around 11pm on Friday 8 September to attend to a man who had received multiple stab wounds.

“The 30-year-old man is currently in a critical condition in hospital.

“We would urge anyone with any information to call Staffordshire Police on 101 quoting incident number 955 of 8 September.”

You can also report crime by contacting the independent crime-fighting charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through their Anonymous Online Form at www.crimestoppers-uk.org. No personal details are taken, information cannot be traced or recorded and you will not go to court.

We wish the man a speedy recovery.

LADY JUSTICE STATUE

A TEENAGE boy who was arrested at a school in Nuneaton in June has been sentenced following the incident.

The boy from Nuneaton was charged with possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life, possession of ammunition with intention to endanger life and possession of an article with a blade on school premises following an incident at a school in Nuneaton on June 13 this year.

The Boy, 15, who can not be named due to his age has been given a six-year youth detention order after taking shotgun and ammunition in to the school.

The incident occurred at Higham Lane School on Shanklin Drive, Nuneaton.

Police were called to the incident at the school yesterday at 9.15am on Tuesday 13 June where the boy was arrested and a firearm and ammunition seized. He was also later also found to be in possession of a pocket knife.

Superintendent Andy Nolan said: “This was a concerning incident for all involved. Fortunately the call handlers, officers and staff at the school responded promptly to contain the boy and ensure pupils at the school were kept safe. I would like to thank staff and pupils at the school for their cooperation and support during the incident and the following investigation.”

His Honour Judge Andrew Lockhart QC reserved praise for the 999 call handler in the case. Superintendent Martin Samuel said: “Our emergency call handlers are all trained to make quick decisions in high pressured situations. The call handler in this case immediately understood the severity of the situation and took immediate steps to ensure the safety of everyone concerned. He is a credit to the force.”

Staffordshire Fire Villa

UNIQUE new training facility at Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service’s Headquarters is set to be unveiled by royalty.

Earl of Wessex KG GCVO, will officially open the Villa Training Centre when he visits the Service on Friday September 8.

His Royal Highness will be given a tour of the innovative complex of rooms, which will provide improved training opportunities and contribute to the safety of Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent residents and firefighters.

From the outside the structure of metal containers looks unremarkable, but the labyrinth of rooms and stairways cleverly provides realistic environments to deliver the safest and highest quality training possible. This ensures firefighters are fully prepared to tackle current and emerging risks.

The Villa is a multi-functional space designed to provide training for firefighters in the following areas:

  • Breathing apparatus
  • Incident command training
  • Positive pressure ventilation (PPV) and tactical ventilation
  • Hazmat training (hazardous materials)
  • Confined space training
  • Search and Rescue
  • High rise/bridgehead
  • Working at height exercises
  • Fire investigation training

The training facility will allow the Service and partners to meet the challenge of new nationally developed concepts in operational procedure and training for staff.

Becci Bryant, Chief Fire Officer, said:

“We look forward to welcoming The Earl of Wessex to open the Villa; a fantastic addition to our training toolkit for existing and newly recruited firefighters.

“As the Service continues to transform we must ensure our training provisions keep in line with national procedures and guidelines.

“The Villa has been designed to support these changes, delivering improved and safer training for modern methods of firefighting. It will also minimise the cost implications of sourcing external training.”

The Earl will begin his visit by watching a hose demonstration by newly recruited firefighters, who are in week one of their training course. This will be followed by a tour of the Villa with an opportunity to watch a separate part of the villa filled with smoke and a demonstration of positive pressure ventilation (PPV) before the official unveiling of the plaque. Finally, HRH will watch a live sprinkler demonstration by the British Automatic Fire Sprinkler Association (BAFSA).

Armed police officers.

A MAN has been arrested on suspicion of firearm offences following a suspected road rage incident in Birmingham Sunday evening (27 August).

A taxi-driver was parked on Slade Road, Erdington at around 7.50pm when a driver pulled alongside him and became verbally abusive.

It is believed the driver got out of his car and threatened the 42-year-old taxi-driver with a hand gun before driving away.

A 999 call was made and details of the car and suspect were circulated to officers.

At around 8.30pm a Seat Ibiza was located near to the scene and a handgun was recovered from the car. The firearm was examined and was later confirmed to be a BB gun.

A 29-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

Detective Constable Paul McConaghy, from the force’s Investigation Team, said: “This a great piece of team work from officers from various teams across Birmingham.

“The victim although very shaken by his ordeal was not injured and officers are liaising with him to understand the full circumstances that led to this incident.

“I would also like to appeal to anyone who was in the area of Slade Road yesterday evening to come forward as they may have witnessed something that could help our investigation.

“The fact that the gun has since been discovered to be a BB gun does not detract from the serious nature of this incident. BB guns can look very realistic and to threaten someone with one is a serious offence.”

Air Ambulance

A MAN has been hospitalised this morning after the light aircraft he was flying, came down near Abbots Bromley.

Emergency Services were sent to the scene of the light aircraft crash in a field near to Abbots Bromley and the Blithfield Reservoir shortly before 10am today, Monday 28 August.

The pilot was airlifted to the Royal Stoke University Hospital in the North of the County by Air Ambulance.


A spokesperson for Staffordshire Police has said: “Just before 10am this morning a Calibre plane came down in a field near to Blithfield Resevoir after taking off from Abbots Bromley airfield.

“The 39-year-old pilot was the sole occupant. He received leg injuries and was taken to the Royal Stoke University Hospital by air ambulance.

“The Air Accident Investigation Branch has been informed.”

A WOMAN has been commended for her actions at the scene of a serious road traffic collision.

Danielle Wright, an off-duty nurse from Birmingham, attended Barton-under-Needwood Community Fire Station on Monday August 21 where she was presented with a commendation by Chief Fire Officer Becci Bryant.

On Tuesday May 9 Danielle was travelling along the A38 near Barton-under-Needwood when she stopped to offer help at the scene of a collision.

A silver Volkswagen had left the northbound carriageway at the junction with Catholme Lane, Wychnor, and collided with a bridge, leaving all five occupants injured.

Station Manager Paul Cullen was travelling along the same stretch of road when the report of the collision came over the radio and was therefore first to arrive, prior to any other emergency service staff. He found four casualties lying in the road and one still in the car.

Paul began to try to triage the casualties in anticipation of paramedics arriving when he was approached by Danielle who told him she was an off-duty nurse and asked if she could do anything to help. Paul asked Danielle to monitor the driver who was the most significantly injured. She did this and when paramedics arrived she worked alongside them and stayed with the man until he was airlifted to hospital for treatment to a suspected broken femur and broken pelvis.

f Danielle receiving her commendation is attached for your use, also featured in the photo are Paul Cullen and Becci Bryant.

Danielle receiving her commendation; also featured in the photo are Paul Cullen and Becci Bryant.

Station Manager Paul Cullen said: “Danielle’s actions made huge difference to the worst casualty in this incident. When I arrived at the scene there were multiple casualties and having an extra pair of hands to help care for them until paramedics arrived was an immense relief.

“In light of this, Danielle is commended for her incredibly selfless actions. Danielle stopped to offer help, facing a very difficult and distressing situation. She could have easily driven by the collision but she didn’t, she went to extra lengths to care for a complete stranger and supported him right up until he was airlifted to hospital.

“Her actions and words will have given great comfort to the man who was in a great deal of pain and we recognise her for her compassion.”

%d bloggers like this: