Home 999

“Keep Warm Safely” warns Fire Service following house fires

logs in fireplace with flames

STAFFORDSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service is asking residents to keep warm safely following a house fire in Burton.

The Service was called at 7.45pm on January 9 to Queensland Crescent after reports of a fire in the bedroom.

When the crew arrived they found an electric back heater pad had been placed in the resident’s bed which had overheated and smouldered through the bedding. The 93-year-old had taken the pad and the blankets and put them in the bath.

Station Manager John Kitchener said: “Fortunately this incident did not develop into a full blaze and was actually out when we arrived. As the heat pad was under blankets it could easily have set these alight and caused a far more serious fire.

“This type of pad is not designed to be used in this way and we urge residents to use any products that admit heat inline with its instructions and guidelines. We also advise anyone who discovers a fire in their home to get out, stay out. Although we understand why the lady removed the pad and blankets the safest thing to do is to leave the property and call us.

“This incident is the second this week to involve an elderly person trying to keep warm although thankfully this incident did not have the same tragic outcome. This particular resident had mobility issues. These are two factors highlighted in the SAME campaign which aims to make people aware of the four factors which increase the likelihood of dying in a fire. These are Smoking, Alcohol, Mobility issues and being Elderly.

“Please keep warm safely and if you need any information on heating on your home call our free Community Advice Team on 0800 0241 999.”

For more information visit www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk/wintersafety.asp


Tell us what you think...